POINT CHEV PIRATES

ABOUT

History 1919 – 1944

The idea of forming a football club eventuated from pick-up games at the Reserve (Coyle Park) between locals and visiting campers. Founder members George Tait, Bert Humpbries and Jack Cleal were instrumental in arranging the inaugural meeting of the Point Chevalier Rugby League Football Club, held late in 1919 at Jim Agger’s Bootshop (on Great North Road, between Huia and Point Chevalier Roads).

It was decided on the casting vote of the President that the new club affiliate to the Auckland Rugby League after the votes had been evenly divided between becoming a Rugby or League club.

An extract from the ARL Junior Control Board minute book on May 4 1920 states that Mr P.Henry, Vice-Chairman of the Board, extended a hearty welcome to Mr J. Aggers of Point Chevalier. Also in those minutes 74 years ago is a record of the transfers of Jack Cleal and Bert Humphries from Richmond to Point Chevalier, and a reference to the first playing area of the new club.
Point Chevalier’s first team was entered in the Third Open competition in 1920 and played North Shore at Barker’s Trotting Track (opposite Chamberlain Park clubhouse ). The exact result is not known, but the locals lost, having fielded only 11 players. The team, in fact, was unable to win a game during that season – though they were never defeated by more than six points.
Club colours for the first few years were all black and the inaugural season’s players were: Bob Hogan, Ted Joyce, Percy Lupton, Bert and Fred Humphries, Will Macky, Charlie Spearpoint, Waka Watkins, George Tait, Harold Broadhead, Jack Cleal, Artie Daniels, Bobby and Jim Ness, and “Big Mac” MacPherson.

The first executive committee of the club comprised Jim Aggers (President). Bert Humphries (Secretary) and Jim Macky (Treasurer). In 1922 the club obtained the use of Mr Walker’s lower paddock – near the bottom of Humariri Street and Selwyn Village – as its home ground. Jerseys were procured from George Court & Co. Ltd for the sum of $1.29 each and supplied to the players at half that cost. The balance at the annual meeting on March 3 1922 was $72.80 and teams were nominated in the third and fourth grades.
In 1925 a 20ft x 9ft shed (in two compartments) was built on the ground by volunteers with material costing $44.92. Charlie Spearpoint and Walter Monaghan became the club’s first Auckland representatives when they were selected to play in Rotorua in the following season.

It was during 1932 that Walker Park was first used as the club’s headquarters, the old shed being shifted closer to the grounds. It was also the beginning of the coaching era of Sonny Hing, possibly the only ethnic Chinese to ever coach an Auckland senior grade team. Sonny held the club’s top coaching post for many seasons and was greatly respected by its players.

Above: The founders of the Point Chevalier Rugby League Football Club, from left to right: George Tait, Bert Humphries and Jack Cleal.

Introduction To Schoolboy Football

Three teams were entered in the Schoolboy competitions for the first time in 1937. A subcommittee of Messrs Eddy, P.McLean and J. Silva was formed to organize the teams and on May 1 the 7 a-side junior team became the first schoolboy team to play on Carlaw Park. Bazil Humphries and Ken Jarvis were selected for the Auckland Golden Bloom Banner and thus became the club’s first schoolboy reps. This was the last season the club played in its old colours of green with a broad white band. The Senior B team, again coached by Sonny Hing, won 12 and lost three Championship games, losing 2-12 in what was virtually the final against Papakura at Victoria Park. In the Knock-out they defeated Glenora 10-0, RV42-2 – but then lost to Papakura again, 12-2. That was the semifinal.
In 1938 the new jersey design with the white vee and thin white band on a green jersey was adopted.
More history was made in 1939 when floodlights were first switched on at Walker Park on April 18 by the patron, Mr Marsden, amid a large gathering of players and supporters. And the club won the march-past trophy on farewell day to the 1939 Kiwi team to England – and was later awarded a special trophy for the part the club played on the day.

Above: The earliest club photograph available. Dated 1922.

POINT CHEVALIER RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB

CENTENNIAL BOOK

 

 AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE 

A GOLDEN ERA

At the annual meeting in 1944 it was decided to seek entry to the Senior Grade competition. The team, coached by Moana Herewini, contained several players from the previous year’s champion 3rd grade side and was required to prove itself worthy of promotion in two preseason games. The first was against Otahuhu – and the Green and Whites created a favourable impression by running out winners to the tune of 15-11.

 

The next week Point were matched with Mt Albert, and although narrowly defeated 21-18, the League News was again favourable in its comments:”Once again Pt Chevalier demonstrated its eligibility to Senior ranking by outshining last year’s Phelan Shield winners to a three-point margin. Actually Point played the more constructive game; they compelled Mount to play good football to win.”

However, it would be the 1953 season that was to be the clubs best ever in the senior competition. Under the guidance of 'Pip' Web, the team won 14, drew one and lost four games, winning the championship in quite unusual circumstances and having to replay the Roope Rooster final after the first final was drawn. This was the third consecutive Rooster final the club had participated in, and the fourth in five years. The Roope Rooster was played at various times during the season, as opposed to the completion of the championship. No champion-of-champions match was played that year due to the lateness of the season.

In the championship rounds, Point Chevalier finished second in the first round, and after four games in the second round was placed third in the minor championship winners, the top four teams played off in a sudden-death knockout. Point drew with the minor championship winners and previously undefeated Mt Albert in the semi final. Point won 11-2, and faced Richmond in the championship final. Point then went on to defeat Richmond 11 - 5 to take the 1953 championship.

Above: The 1953 senior team, winners of the Fox Memorial and runners-up in the Roope Rooster.

ADDRESS

417 Point Chevalier Road, Point Chevalier, Auckland 1022

© 2020 Point Chevalier Pirates. | All Rights Reserved | Made With ♥ In AKL,NZ by Alpha Buoy